The first fact about addictions is that the devil makes the persons/victims/addicts believe that they cannot come out of it.
It is a bondage or captivity of the mind.
Addictions may involve some form of secrecy.
Like every other form of sin, we either justify why we should continue or accept it as a way of life. The excuse of been ‘born that way’
What really is an addiction?
Anything one cannot do without is generally termed as an addiction. Addiction to food-guilty! Addiction to clothes,to music, the television, to social media etcetera.
The other form are the ‘sinful addictions’. Getting hooked on things that goes against the Word of God. More like the vices of the flesh like pornography,smoking, wild partying, homosexualism, murder to name a few. Galatians chapter 5 would help us out here as Paul spoke about the acts of the flesh here.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE that whether the addiction is described as sinful or general,nothing or No one should take number one spot in a Christian’s life other than God!
All forms of addiction are or could be sinful!
• I have seen TV shows or movies that show some form or method of getting out of an addiction
A person with a short fuse going for anger management class…… an alcoholic going to a rehabilitation centre(rehab)the list goes on.
I stop to wonder why no one bothers to go back to the manufacturer when there is something wrong with the product.
We are all created by God and surrending to the power of Jesus would make the difference. Romans 8 verse 3
• You must win the battle in your mind. Alot of addictions start from the mind or should I say from a thought , an image we saw on the internet or television show, a close relative, friends at school or work, something in a magazine or something we heard. Whether we realised it- a negative seed was planted in our minds and it grew to be full blown into habits.
That is why it is soo important to be mindful of what we hear,listen or pay attention to, what we see or watch, the kind of people around us.
Ok so the seed has been sown, I still need help! We all need help. In a society or a generation where the environment and media has been polluted we need even more care and ofcourse more of the word.
• One needs to feed more and more on the Word of God. You need a robust spirit man to be able to overcome. The bible says that the entrance of the word gives light and understanding unto the simple.
When you add or put on weight maybe due to having more time to rest, less stress or whatever the reason; you realise some old clothes do not fit anymore. You automatically don’t wear them anymore because they just don’t fit! It is the same with the spiritual man. You dump the old things because the new weight can’t accept the old outfit.
• Learn to talk to yourself……I mean speak positively to yourself. Tell yourself you can overcome it and speak the word of God to yourself.
Words have power! Say it! Confess it! Believe it!
• Talk to someone about it. This person should be a mature believer and wise. Why you need to tell someone about it is to give you as sense of accountability and to break the secrecy. Most importantly God may just have a word for you from that person that would make the difference.
You do not need someone who would judge you but you do not also need someone who would rub your head and directly or indirectly encourage you to keep it up in the sin.
• Physically break away from anything or anyone that makes you go back,reminds you of the past or keeps you in the addiction.
Keep good friends-evil communication corrupts good manners; cliche but true!
• If you fall back or what the professionals call a relapse, get back up again! God has not given up on you, so do not give up on yourself. You have overcome the flesh and are born of God, embrace this and get up and look ahead!
Scriptures to help you!
1st John 1 verse 9
Romans 8 verses 1 to 6
1st John 2 verses 1 and 2
James 1 verses 13-15
I pray for you in Jesus name, that you are free from all sin that have drawn you down.
There is grace available. Get into God now and see Him help you.
I love and celebrate you!
Romans 8:1 NIV
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,…..